Saturday, May 18, 2013

I Know I Said I Wouldn't Do This...





I told Mark I wouldn't talk about depression and I would keep things on this blog upbeat from now on. I tried to do that yesterday. I tried to forget and pretend like nothing had ever happened.

But some distractions can't be ignored.

I feel so drained and lifeless. I feel like everything I am has been sucked out of me. I eat like 1 meal a day and my sleep is filled with terrible dreams. What little sleep I can get, anyway.

You see, night before last, I was date raped. I've been raped before, so I knew the drill and I didn't think my mind could handle another violent rape, so I just went along with him in the end. And my cooperation in the whole thing makes it incapable of prosecution, basically. I mean, they can go through the trial, but nothing will come of it.

So my mind is stuck in that night. I can't seem to pull my thoughts or emotions away from it. I just want to forget the whole thing ever happened. I want to pretend it all was just one of my fantasy scenarios.

But it wasn't. It was real. And I don't WANT to forget, not really. Not rationally. I want to remember and learn and get better again. I can and will survive this. I've done it before and I'll do it again. I'm stronger than this, strong enough to deal with what has happened and move on with my life.

That's what I'm telling myself, anyway. But underneath that, I feel like everything is dead inside, like all my drive and ambition to achieve and succeed is just...gone. Everything that mattered feels empty and worthless. My life feels pointless. I feel pointless.

It drives me crazy when logic and emotions don't line up. If I had handled things on a purely logical front that night, none of this would have happened. If I had handled the situation AFTER on a purely logical front, everything would have been better. If I could just deal with the aftermath of the whole situation now with pure logic, I could move on and use it as a fuel to make me stronger.

I don't know if I can do that. Emotions are just so strong. How do you deal with the emotions of a date rape? How do you deal with the feelings of vulnerability it leaves? It had taken me years and years to get to the level I was before. Virtually my whole life. How can I do that again?

I say I'm strong enough, but inside I wonder if that's true.

I guess I'm about to find out.  

2 comments:

  1. How can you do it again? You've done it before that's how. It's a massive tragedy what happened and you're right that it can't just be forgotten or pushed aside. Some things can't be handled with logic no matter what and this is one of those things. Don't let it break you Kyla and certainly don't let it destroy everything you've become and can still become. In times like this you can either stop, or carry on, and carrying on is the best thing you can do.

    Don't be worried about talking about depression or anything. Some things need to come out. I also think you should be eating more than one meal a day. You need more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyla I'm so sorry to hear about what's happened and the fact that it's happened before at that. I can perfectly understand why this would hit you for six, I have no idea how terrible and upset that you must be feeling since it happened, really shit thing to read about. You can't let this beat you, you're a strong person and you've beat problems before and I genuinely believe that you can beat it again Kyla. The one meal a day thing just isn't good but it's understandable when you're upset and feeling pain. I'm here if you need somebody to talk to by the way, even just something to take your mind off things.

    ReplyDelete