Thursday, May 16, 2013

Distractions





I remember when I first started this life change and people continuously told me that they had tried to change their lives, but "something" always got in the way. I decided that that "something" was always yourself.

Of course, I had to go and prove myself right.

So I've been distracted lately. I don't do my routine as much as I used to, and I miss it. And each day I choose to stop letting myself slide and get this change back on track, "something" always seems to happen. That "something" always varies, from boy problems to sickness, but it happens every time.

Which can only lead to one conclusion: "something" isn't getting in the way; I am.

It's so funny to me how each of us can be our own worst enemies. And how do you win a war against yourself? No matter what you do, you're going to lose.

Lately, my goals have been losing and my need for distraction has been winning.

Am I looking for something to distract me? Sometimes. Sometimes I just need to forget reality because it's getting too intense for me to handle. That's actually how I get some of the greatest ideas for my novels. I get lost in my head for days, weeks, even months on end, and come out with entire stories planned inside my mind.

It's also part of what makes me a better writer. Writing every day is all well and good, and I definitely want that to be a regular part of my routine, but living life is just as important. If you're experiencing life with friends and romantic relationships and adventures and problems, you're going to learn far more about writing and storytelling then reading a book or sitting at a computer all day could ever teach you.

So what's my point? Well, my point is pretty simple, actually. Distractions are bad, because they get you off track. But they can also be useful learning tools, if you view them correctly.

In light of those facts, I have to make some changes to my life change. I need to stop using excuses and get back to my routine again. But I need to accept that my routine needs room for distractions, too.

Not to plan for such things can only lead to failure.

2 comments:

  1. You do need a healthy distraction now and again or you're just going to go mad really. Sometimes the mind takes care of us by distracting us like that. But you are right about living in fantasy worlds and exploring life. Experience teaches you a whole lot. The clue is in the name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know to be honest Kyla, honestly I do get where you're coming from when you say that it is yourself ultimately because no matter what happens if you really wanted to keep up to date with what you needed to do then you would probably do it. Don't beat yourself up about it too much though, sometimes life throws up certain curve balls that get in our way, honestly, even to set these goals is doing great, just keep it up.

    ReplyDelete