Friday, April 5, 2013

Goal Book


I read on the Change Blog (a wonderfully informative blog for anyone who wants to change) that you should create a goal book outlining your plans to change. I nodded my head in agreement when I read it and used the notebook I had already been using to outline my goals, naming it my goal book.

And that was that. Or so I thought.

But the thought remained in my head. When I went to work, I continuously looked around for things that might help me on my goal, with no specific thoughts in mind. I just looked, thinking how each thing could be used to develop my goals and whether the benefits could offset the price.

And then I saw a zipper binder on sale for $3.50.

I immediately flashed back to my 8-year-old self. I used to carry around a zipper binder my mom bought me for school, dreaming about filling it with wondrous information that would make my dreams come true. I'd show it to other people and awe them with my incredible abilities. And I'd become something special, all from the power of that beautiful zipper binder.

Of course, that never happened. But it was a dream of mine, and since this new change is all about making my childhood dreams come true, I decided to use the money I had budgeted for my goal plans on a Goal Book.

As soon as I finished preparing the notebook, I felt like a giddy child again with my school binder. This notebook was going to make my dreams come true.

Which is childish nonsense, of course. I will make my dreams come true. But this binder and all it contains will help me get there. And that is certainly something to be excited about.

A Goal Book is a notebook where you plan your goals to a close degree and keep active track of your progress. Those that use such tools have been shown to stay on track towards their goals more often, bounce back from setbacks easier, and accomplish more overall. People who want to lose weight are encouraged to keep a notebook keeping track of their meal habits and their exercise regimen. Those who wish to get organized are encouraged to create lists of what they want to accomplish.

It's all related. So my Goal Book is here to help me stay on track towards my goals and I can honestly say it's already helping. In fact, it's amazing.

Do you like the idea of a Goal Book? Maybe you should make one for yourself. Who knows. Maybe it'll help you make your dreams come true.

Daily Stats:


  1. Exercised, stretched, meditated, and worked on writing twice today.
  2. Wrote in my journal, stayed on budget, and wrote a poem today.
  3. Posted on my blog.
  4. Made my bed, picked up in my room, did some dishes, and did laundry today.

 

2 comments:

  1. I think a goal book is probably a good idea. I know how much it can help to have everything planned and organised. If you just write something down in a planner you actually feel compelled to do it just because it's written down.

    Or at least, I did.

    ReplyDelete